Leslie at Rehab

Leslie at Rehab
Enough with the brace! Here's mah Kitteh!

Friday, March 16, 2012

Jumping around on Friday

Hi all, it has been a busy week as crutches are introduced into therapy. When I get released and move home I will need to be able to navigate steps, which requires crutches. So this week I have been learning/practicing how to get around on crutches. I am a long way from confident or adept on them but I haven't had a yip moment the past two days. For those wondering, a yip moment is when you involuntarily yip as you momentarily lose balance, startle yourself and regain your balance with the help of those around you. I have gained a deep appreciation for gait belts during this week, they have kept me upright more than once.

The past two days have introduced jumping up onto blocks while using parallel bars. We started with two inches and progressed quickly to 4" and 6". Today was an 8" block and I would just like to say that that is a big jump one-legged. I am certain that once my left leg is a bit less swollen and more flexible this jumping will likely be a bit easier. Nor will I be spending part of my attention on how to keep it out of the way. We did try actual four inch steps early on, and I was very thankful for the multiple helpers as they kept me from pitching forward when my foot didn't quite clear a step on the down.

As my therapists work to increase my standing time we have been doing many things. One of the more enjoyable is playing the board game Sequence. I have also heated a "meal" in the microwave, "eaten" it and cleaned up afterwards. I have also folded laundry, done item retrieval in the kitchen area and some other items all designed to increase my single leg stamina. Who knows, perhaps when this is over I'll be able to hop buildings with the right leg.

Well, that's it for now, hope everyone has had a good week.

1 comment:

  1. Keep hopping around,keep trying. We'll see you on the dance floor, hopefully standing, this summer. The very best! Tom O'B

    ReplyDelete